Monday, October 8, 2007

Parotta - Tamil Nadu style

You will need

  • 4 cups maida flour
  • ¾ cup yogurt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • oil as reqd(more oil gives more taste)
  • water as reqd
Step 1:

Mix together maida, salt, baking powder and sugar in a vessel. Beat egg separately and add with the flour mixture. Add oil, yogurt and water to make a soft dough. Make sure to knead the dough hard on a clean surface to make it soft.

Cover the dough with a wet cloth for atleast 4 hrs.

Step 2:

Take the dough and knead it once again. Make small balls.. Take each balls and spread it lengthwise then curl it(as shown below) and keep it aside for 30 minutes.


Step 3:

Heat the thava in medium flame. Pat the curl gently to flatten (to the size of parotta) and place in thava till the parotta is ready.

Step 4:

Once done pat sides of the parotta to get the layers. Happy cooking.. Need more patience and some skill to make this.:)

Serve with favourite non-veg curries.. Enjoy!!!!

Myself and my hubby had fun making these parottas on Columbus day holiday.. It was fun to do something together.And we got good result too..



4 comments:

John said...

We had so much fun making this. This was inspired by one of my school friends, Edward. I am a big ZERO in cooking, but, I have to say that making Parotta needs patience, strength and some skill. Best of luck.

Sanghi said...

hey viji ur recipies are drooling in my eyes, pics too. Getting hungry...
great blog.
I'v tagged you. visit my site too..

Unknown said...

Thanks Sanghi for your lovely comments...

nellaisamayal said...

hi viji just accidentally got to your site and fully involved in it. I came in search of a recipe but I found a great peace in my heart with the link of tamil christian songs in your site.

Great work dear , My age is 40 and I feel guilty for not doing my Lord's work in my youth.

You remind me of my friend Annie because both of your looks give me great joy and peace.

I will try your ceylon egg parota which was and still my favourite because I too had this in the chennai paramount Hotel.